Liver is the largest internal organ, which bears three main functions: digestion, detoxification and energy storage.Liver neutralizes toxic chemicals (medicines, chemicals from food etc.) to protects human body from harmful effects. Liver produces bile, an important factor for digestion. Another key function of liver is energy storage in form of glycogen that is converted from glucose.
Liver has important role in conversion of certain hormones and vitamins to biologically active forms. Liver is important for protein metabolism because it coverts essential amino acids so they can be used by human body. In other words, the liver can be considered a factory that is responsible for many processes of vital importance in our body: It produces a bile that is needed for the digestion of food, in particular fats; stores extra glucose or sugar as glycogen, and then converts it back into glucose when the body needs it for energy; makes blood clotting factors; produces amino to help fight infection; processes and stores the iron needed for red blood cell production; converts waste products of body metabolism and metabolizes medications.New Global Burden of Disease estimates for liver cirrhosis, published in BMC Medicine, suggest that cirrhosis caused over a million deaths in 2010, with a further million due to liver cancer and acute hepatitis.
What causes liver disease
If liver cells are damaged by any external and internal factors liver functions become insufficient.
- The most common causes of chronic liver deterioration include: Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, , Cirrhosis (can be caused by alcohol consumption or has other reasons), Hemochromatosis (an inherited disorder that causes the body to absorb and store too much iron), Malnutrition
The causes of acute liver destruction, when the liver fails rapidly, include:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose
- Cancer, it can be cancer of liver per se or metastases from main tumor located in other organ
- Metabolic disorders caused by specific disease or pregnancy
- Autoimmune disorder, when immune system do recognize liver cells as “enemy” and attacks them
- Ingestion of toxins ( often poisonous wild mushrooms)
- Reactions to certain prescription and herbal medications
The best way to prevent liver failure is to get timely hepatitis vaccines, follow proper diet,
drink little or no alcohol, wash your hands after the bathroom and before touching any food, avoid using somebody’s personal toiletry items, including toothbrushes and razors.
Types of liver disease
The truth is that there are more than 100 known types of liver sickness brought on by an assortment of variables and influencing everybody from babies to grown-ups.
Cirrhosis is regularly thought to be a type of liver sickness and might be the main liver-related condition that numerous individuals have known about. Truth be told, cirrhosis is a condition that outcomes from lasting harm or scarring of the liver.
A solid liver is fundamental for suitable quality of live and survival. The liver can recover the majority of its own cells when they get to be harmed. Be that as it may, if harm to the liver is excessively serious or enduring, recovery is inadequate, and the liver makes scar tissue. Scarring of the liver, additionally called fibrosis, may prompt cirrhosis. The development of scar tissue that causes cirrhosis is generally a moderate and steady process. In the early phases of cirrhosis, the liver keeps on working. In any case, as cirrhosis deteriorates and scar tissue replaces more solid tissue, the liver will start to fall flat. Interminable liver disappointment, which is additionally called end-stage liver ailment, advances over months, years, or even decades. With end-stage liver sickness, the liver can no more perform imperative capacities or successfully supplant harmed cells.
Signs and symptoms of liver disease
Some major reasons of liver disease are: alcoholism, toxic effect of medicaments or environmental factors, infections, metabolic or autoimmune disorder.Liver disease is reflected in numerous symptoms that are used in the application for risk assessment: jaundice, dark urine, nausea, vomiting, abdominal swelling, spiderlike blood vessels on the skin, weight loss, decreased amount of urine, fatigue, blood vomiting, rectal bleeding, light-colored stool, abdominal pain that radiates to back, oily, smelly stools (steatorrhea), weight gain, swelling/puffiness of ankles.
YouShield mobile application is designed with the purpose to help you follow up on your health, educate you about liver disease symptoms, keep historical track of your lab test results and warn you if something goes wrong. YouShield provides you unique opportunity to send your health report to your doctor and request either additional lab tests or appointment as soon as the problem occurs.
What to do if YouShield warned you of liver disease risk?
If any of these liver disease symptoms are provided by an individual, the application suggests checking the risk using liver disease model, providing following list of recommended lab tests:
- protein produced by liver and carry vital hormones and nutrients
- Pigment produced when the liver breaks down old red blood cells
- direct bilirubin is a bilirubin conjugated to sugar, it is soluble and made by the liver from indirect bilirubin
- produced in the bone marrow, prevent bleeding by forming blood clots and help wounds heal
- mean corpuscular volume shows average red blood cell size
– cooper containing enzyme is synthetized in liver, in case of insufficient liver function concentration of ceruloplasmin in blood drops.
- indicates extent of binded iron in blood
- calculation of the clotting ability of blood
- The most common antibodies circulating in the blood
- Immunoglobulin that include primary antibodies released into the blood early in the immune response
- Indicator of hepatitis B antigen in human body
- Indicate current of previous hepatitis C infection
ALT, AST, Alkaline Phosphatase, Gamma-Glutamyl Transferase
- enzymes produced by liver, concentration increases in blood when there is damage to liver cells
All available data will be processed to estimate risk of certain health conditions. Simultaneously the system provides accuracy level of this estimation; the less numbers are entered – the lower would be the accuracy.